Monday, May 14, 2012

Tough Gig

I knew when I made the decision to strap on the kilt for a year that it wouldn't be easy. There are a lot of difficulties guys in kilts have to face that I'm not sure the general public is aware of. You become the subject of pointing fingers, spontaneous giggles, not-so-discreet whispers and even straight-out laughter. In Nashville I was chased and taunted by a truckload of rednecks to the point I thought I was going to have to whip out my sgian dubh and teach those rude youngsters a lesson. It's enough to make a man want to put on some pants. And then there's this: recently, while attending an art festival I was approached by a tall, young, attractive woman named Dena who informed me that she and her husband have a special tradition when it comes to kilt-wearers. Apparently, any time they see a kilted man in public, Dena must kiss the man while her husband get a snapshot. Seriously. I was afraid to ask if I would be the first subject in their photo adventure or if they had several albums full back home. At any rate, I was more than happy to oblige them and thus, my very first "kissed by a stranger" photo of my year in a kilt journey. I do hope that the general public is a little more informed about the trials we kilt-wearers must daily face. Not to mention the horrifying lengths Dena had to go to to uphold her family tradition.


4 comments:

  1. Problems with Rednecks? Ahem - http://www.paganrednecks.ca/images/patthecan.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring yer kilts to Denver in September for Brethren Con. The Wild Wenches love to blow men in kilts!
    #kiltblowing #Brethrencon

    http://www.brethrencon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with the March winds blowing. Not sure I could make it through the Wild Wenches. Nonetheless, Denver in September sounds like a great time to be a pirate.

    ReplyDelete