Sunday, January 15, 2012

Awkward Questions And Comments

I've been wearing a kilt for 15 days straight now and today was the first time I got the "What's under the kilt?" question. Oddly enough it came from a man yelling it to me from across a parking lot. I responded with "You'll never know!" but afterward decided I should have yelled back "Same thing that's under your pants, only larger!" There will always be a next time.

In addition, two young ladies at different times said to me "I like your skirt" as I passed them. Both were corrected by the people they were with who informed them it was a "kilt." Honorable mention goes to the girl in the ice cream shop who asked me, "Aren't the purses called 'sporrans'?" I'll give her a few points since she actually knew that and because she fixed me up a delicious peppermint ice cream cone.

I have gained a new respect for women who sit down in skirts without flashing everyone in the room. I still have to master this maneuver. During these next few weeks, if you happen to be in a restaurant or coffee shop when I come in, I apologize in advance.

5 comments:

  1. You could have yelled to the guy "your wife's lipstick".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweep your pleats under your bum as you sit, and have your knees together :) If not push the sporran down on the apron to stop frightening the horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that maneuver down in theory but not in practice. I kind of need two hands to sweep the pleats under and then one hand at the same time to push the front of the kilt down so as not to duplicate a few seconds of a "Paris Hilton" entrance. The "knees together" suggestion is more difficult than it sounds for a lifelong trouser-wearer. Those muscles aren't quite developed yet and the knees just want to drift apart after a minute or so. Makes it difficult to relax. Maybe I should start carrying around a bungee cord to keep my knees together. In fact, I might suggest Paris Hilton do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My standard reply is "only one way to find out"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ex-husband always answered the question with, "My shoes."

    ReplyDelete